Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

My puppy ate the part of the phone charger that connects

Customer Question

Hi my puppy ate the part of the phone charger that connects to the phone. She is four months old and only 2 pounds so i'm very worried. Do you think i should take her to the vet or will she be fine?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. The Veterinarian will know if your puppy will be able to digest that. Anything else I can tell the Veterinarian before I connect you two?
Customer: she's acting very playful and fine right now but i just want to make sure
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am not set up to make a live call. But, I am happy to answer your question on this thread. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice. 1- How long has it been since she ate it? 2- Can you give me how big was the piece? 3- Was it the cord, any sharp edges?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
its been about an hour and a half. The piece was a couple centimeters long and rectangular shaped. it wasn't the cord just the part that plugs into the phone.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
1- Did it have any sharp edges? 2- Do you have hydrogen peroxide 3%?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It wasn't very sharp but there were definitely edges. No I don't have any hydrogen peroxide.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Please give me a few minutes to type your answer. Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Friend, if you can take her in to your vet's office within the hour they can induce vomiting with hydrogen peroxide or apomorphine to get the piece out of the stomach before it moves into the intestinal tract. If you can not get her to the vet this is what you can do: 1- Change her diet for the next 2-3 days to rice (75%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (25%). The idea is for the rice to bind the piece and help pass it in the feces while protecting the intestinal tract. Make sure you are checking for the piece in her stool. If you do not find the piece within 48 hours I would have her checked by family vet for xrays with barium. 2- If at any point you see the following symptoms: lethargy, anorexia, vomiting, constipated or diarrhea, etc. follow up immediately with a veterinarian. These are all signs of a possible obstruction of the intestinal tract. In the meantime, observe and change diet as above then wean back into regular diet. Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!Dr. Peter
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There's a cvs right next to my apartment can i just buy the hydrogen peroxide myself? How much should I give her?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can you please answer my last question??? I want to make sure I get her what she needs in time. the nearest vet would take too long
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Sure, just give me a few minutes to type your answer.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
To induce vomiting with peroxide this is what you can do:1- Give her 1 mls of hydrogen peroxide orally to induce vomiting. Note: You will need to pick up a dropper that measures in mls. 2- Allow her to walk for a minute and move her belly to mix stomach content with peroxide. If she does not vomit within 5-10 minutes, repeat it again. Can give a total of 3 times 5-10 minutes apart. 3- If she does not vomit or you do not see piece in the vomit change her diet as described above. Please reply if you have additional questions.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Peter