Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

I think my dog ate a 500 mg tylenol...... she weighs 70 lbs..

Customer Question

I think my dog ate a 500 mg tylenol...... she weighs 70 lbs.. What shall I do.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 8 months ago.
Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I am sorry to hear that your pup ate a 500mg Tylenol (acetaminophen) tablet.We see toxicity symptoms in dogs at a dose of acetaminophen higher then 75 mg per kilogram (2.2 pounds per kilogram) of body weight.At 70 pounds he is 31.81 kilograms, so he would need to eat 2386mgs of acetaminophen. (31.81kg X 75mg/kg = 2386mg)500mgs is less then the toxic amount for a 70 pound dog. You should not see any symptoms of toxicity in him. Signs to watch for with acetaminophen toxicity would be brown or gray colored gums, difficulty breathing, edema or swelling of the face, neck, legs or feet, vomiting, yellow color to the skin and in very severe cases coma. But none of those should occur with eating just one 500mg tablet in a 70 pound dog.I would encourage him to drink plenty of water tonight and watch him closely but at the dose he ate he should be fine.Please let me know if you have any further questions.
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 7 months ago.
Hello, I wanted to check in and see if you had any further questions after reading my response. If you do please feel free to respond with them. If not and you found my information helpful please remember to rate my response positively so I may receive credit for my work thank you, ***** *****