Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

Wolfe, my 50 pound staffordshire terrier ate 1

Customer Question

***** ***** Wolfe, my 50 pound staffordshire terrier ate 1 to 2 styrofoam packing peanuts.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: My dog ate 1-3 styrofoam packing "peanuts" (1 inch long). What should I do
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Dog Veterinarians generally expect a deposit of about $19 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 8 months ago.
Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I'm sorry to hear that your pup ate something he should not have.He's a big guy and they may pass but because these are not digestible if he just ate them, within the past 2-3 hours, it's worth trying to get him to vomit them back up.You can give him 3 tablespoon of 3% hydrogen peroxide mixed with bread chunks or ice cream (it's 1 tablespoon per 10 pounds but no more than 3 tablespoons even though he weighs more than 35 pounds).Then take him outside and run him around to get the peroxide bubbling so he vomits.If no vomiting in 10 minutes repeat the peroxide dose once.If he vomits and seems to clear his stomach and be done I would check to see if the pieces are present. Once he finishes vomiting and empties his stomach to try and settle his stomach today you can give either:1) Pepcid-ac (famotidine) at a dose of one 10mg tablet per 20 to 40 pounds of body weight every 12 hours.OR2) Prilosec (omeprazole) at a dose of one 20mg tablet per 40 to 80 pounds of body weight every 24 hours.These will reduce stomach acid and should help settle his stomach.Then feed a homemade diet of 1/3 boiled, lean hamburger or boiled, white, skinless chicken, all fats and juices drained off the meat, and 2/3 boiled, plain, white rice. Add 2 tablespoons of canned pumpkin, (not pie filling, just pumpkin), to each meal for fiber whether he vomits most of the foreign material back up or not to help push the remaining pieces through.If you don't have peroxide you can get him to an emergency clinic to induce vomiting.If he doesn't vomit it back up or you choose not to take him to an emergency clinic still use the bland diet with pumpkin to try and get the pieces to pass.If it has been several hours since she ate them it may be too late to induce vomiting, the pieces may be out of his stomach. All you can do at that point is watch him closely. If he starts vomiting, has a tense painful belly or refuses to eat or runs a fever (more than 103F rectally) then that can signify a blockage and he should be seen by a veterinarian immediately. Surgery may be needed at that point.At his size that seems unlikely, but it is possible.Please let me know if you have any further questions.
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 8 months ago.
Hello, I wanted to make sure that you didn't have any further questions for me, and I'd like to know how things turned out for your pup. If you found my response helpful please don't forget to rate it so I may receive credit for it, thank you, ***** *****