Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)

She's having seizures. 3 in the last 5 hours. she's 15 and

Customer Question

she's having seizures. 3 in the last 5 hours. she's 15 and has never had seizures before. she's been ontramadol
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Seizures always look scary. Let's get you talking to the Veterinarian. What is the dog's name?
Customer: lady
JA: Anything else I can tell the Veterinarian before I connect you two?
Customer: She was lethartic about 10 days ago. Had trouble walking and standing. The vet did all blood work and it came back normal. prescribed a steroid and tramadol for 7 days. She's been on it 6 days. 50 MGs. She's 45 pounds but wasn't eating for several days so she has been taking the medicine without much food
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 6 months ago.
Hello. Thanks for the question. I'm sorry to hear about your dog. Seizures in older dogs are always concerning. In younger dogs, the most common cause is epilepsy. In dogs > 8 years of age, the most common cause is a brain tumor unfortunately. The only way to know for sure, is to get an MRI of the head/ brain. For now, I would get to your vet and have her started on an anti-seizure medication. We typically start with Phenobarbital. If you want to do everything, I would see a neurologist and MRI the head to see if it's a brain tumor that can be removed or treated with radiation therapy. If you don't decide to go that route, we treat with Phenobarbital and steroids. The prognosis is guarded, but some dogs can live many months to a year with this treatment. Here is a nice write up on seizures in dogs: I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.