Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

Evie is a 10 year old ***** ***** Mix. She suddenly ate carpet

Customer Question

Evie is a 10 year old ***** ***** Mix. She suddenly ate carpet this last Tuesday morning. She had emergency abdominal surgery to remove a large amount of carpet and a carpet staple. So, she is about 60 hours post-op currently and just ate more carpet. Does she need to be seen emergent at her Vet or can it wait until 0800 CST?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if Evie Is A 10 Year Old ***** ***** Mix will be able to digest that. Anything else I can tell the Veterinarian before I connect you two?
Customer: Negative.
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.
Hello. Thanks for the question. I'm sorry for the wait. If she just ate more carpet, I would get her seen right away. If we catch them within 4 hours, we can induce vomiting or go in with a scope to remove it. Once we get outside of that 4 hour window, it could move out of the stomach and then require another surgery. Time is very important to get that out. I would be a little hesitant to induce vomiting with the recent surgery, so endoscopy would be my choice to get the carpet out. I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.