Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

WE HAVE 2 PUPPIES ABOUT 7MTHS OLD. A COUPLE OF DAYS AGO BARKLEY

Customer Question

wE HAVE 2 PUPPIES ABOUT 7MTHS OLD. A COUPLE OF DAYS AGO BARKLEY STARTED THROWING UP. HE IS LATHARGIC AND WON'T EAT. HEDRINLS WATER BUT THROWS IT UP. TEDDY THE OTHER ONE STARTED THROWING UP A FEW HOURS AGO BUT IS STILL ACTIVE AND EATING. wE HAVE THE MOM AND DAD THEY SEEM TO BE FINE THEY ARE OVER 5YRS OLD. pLEASE TELL ME WHAT WE SHOULD DO? WE ARE A LOW INCOME FAMILY AND NEED TO FIND A LOW INCOME VET
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 8 months ago.
Hello. Thanks for the question. The main worry I would have with two vomiting puppies is Parvo virus. This is a common viral infection in puppies, especially if they are not fully vaccinated. It can cause vomiting, diarrhea and decreased appetite. It can be fatal if untreated. If you can get to a vet for parvo testing and treatment, that would be ideal. Here is a nice write up on Parvo treatment:http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=580 If you can't get to a vet, there are a couple meds you can get over the counter to help with nausea:1. Pepcid AC (Famotidine)- you can give a dose of 0.25 mg per lb body weight every 12-24 hours.2. Meclizine- you can give 12.5 mg every 24 hours for nausea I would also try to get food and fluids in them. Try canned food, baby food, chicken/ rice- whatever they'll eat. I would also try some pedialyte or gatorade to get them hydrated. I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.