Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

My dog has ingested some Comet with bleach that was

Customer Question

Hello, my dog has ingested some Comet with bleach that was sitting in my toilet.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: jethro and he is about 4 years old.
JA: Anything else I can tell the Veterinarian before I connect you two?
Customer: not that i can think of at this moment.
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 8 months ago.
Hello and welcome,This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.My name is***** and I am a small animal vet with many years experience and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. However before I can start I need a little more information to make things clearer for me so could you please answer the following :1. This was in the toilet bowl so would be quite dilute? You can then expect a written reply sometime within the next five to ten minutes or so. We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype if this is more convenient for you. Please get back to me if this is more suitable for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }Regards,Dr Scott
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Hi Dr, Scott,Thank you so much for the speedy reply. In response to your question about the comet in the toilet bow the answer is yes. It was diluted with the water but still had the chemical sprinkled along the edges..Regards, *****
Hello again Leslie, I have worked out an answer for you below ... 1. For dogs to drink toilet water with bleach and such products in it is actually quite a common occurrence and something I have advised on quite a few times. My experience is that it is usually no cause for concern because the concentration of chemicals in the toilet bowl water is usually very low. If it was higher then it would taste bad and the dog will not drink the water. I rarely see any adverse effects in this sort of situation. 2. All you need do is to keep a good eye on Jethro over the next few hours and if any adverse symptoms should occur then have a vet check him over without delay, but this would be very unlikely. However if symptoms were going to occur you might expect to see such things as vomiting, lethargy, inappetance and signs of abdominal pain. 3. However I should be available online for you for the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate get straight back to me if Jethro's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.Regards, ***** ***** be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.
Hello again Leslie,I am just checking back in to see how Jethro is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the bleach incident ... Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.Regards,Dr ScottPlease be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Hi ,Thank you for the follow up. Jethro seemed fine this morning after drinking the toilet bowl water containing the Comet with Bleach. It was quite a scare but I am glad that you were available last night to advise.Warmest of regards, *****
Great news Leslie, I was wondering how things were going with Jethro ... You should have no worries now. Regards,Dr ScottPlease be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.
Hello again Lesie, Of course I am very glad to have advised you and even more glad that Jethro has been unaffected by his experience. However I wonder if you could possible do me a favour and rate my service to you on the site? This really helps my standing in the Just Answer community. Kindest regards, *****
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 7 months ago.
Hi Leslie,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Vet_Answers