Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

Im not sure if my puppy has swallowed a small button

Customer Question

Im not sure if my puppy has swallowed a small button battery. What should i do? Do i just let it pass in his stool?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome,This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.My name is***** and I am a small animal vet with many years experience and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. However before I can start I need a little more information to make things clearer for me so could you please answer the following :1. How long ago might this have happened ? You can then expect a written reply sometime within the next five to ten minutes or so. We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype if this is more convenient for you. Please get back to me if this is more suitable for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }Regards,Dr Scott
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
About a half hour ago and a written response on the internet is fine
Hello again I have worked out an answer for you below ... 1. If less than one hour has passed it may be possible to retrieve the battery by inducing vomiting, for the sake of speed I will give you a link on how to do this best. LINK2. The chance are that objects of this size will just pass straight through your dog's intestinal tract and not cause any damage. However with button batteries there is a serious hazard because if they get trapped in the intestinal tract they can cause damage by generating an electrical charge and damaging the tissue, this can be quite severe but would be less likely with a dead battery of course. 3. So basically if any odd symptoms do occur such as vomiting, anorexia, lethargy or signs of abdominal pain then you should have your dog checked over by a vet without delay. I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you. Regards, ***** ***** be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.
Hello again Ashleigh,I am just checking back in to see how Angus is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the button battery incident ... Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.Regards,Dr ScottPlease be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.
Hi Ashleigh,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Angus. How is everything going?

Vet_Answers