Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

My shih Tzu has increasingly frequent bowel movements, some

Customer Question

My shih Tzu has increasingly frequent bowel movements, some with a mucous looking component. He has always had a sensitive digestive system. He was just moved to a new state and his digestion is disrupted again.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: He is 7 and his name is Dudley.
JA: Anything else I can tell the Veterinarian before I connect you two?
Customer: It is not unusual for him to have periods where he does not eat, or vomits yellow bile looking fluid. He also has loose stools frequently. He is on Temeril P for allergies.
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. John replied 8 months ago.
Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. If he has been through blood work and fecal exams to rule out potential liver, pancreatic, kidney and intestinal parasite issues; he most likely has an issue with irritable bowel syndrome (IBS). Of course, you can never say 100% without a biopsy, but that is not always necessary. It does seem to be brought on by stress. It may help if your vet will let you keep a supply of metronidazole on hand for when these outbreaks occur, but it would also probably help to keep him on a higher fiber diet. There are prescription diets that have higher fiber and will help with this. Even adding a teaspoon to tablespoon of either Metamucil or pure canned pumpkin to his diet helps. Some of these gastrointestinal issues will respond to just higher fiber. If this seems to be more of an issue since he has been on Temaril P, it could possibly be due to that because steroids can decrease some of the protective mechanisms of the GI tract. On the other hand, higher doses of steroids have been used to treat bad cases of IBS, so there is probably nothing I would change there, unless there seems to be a big correlation between the symptoms and being on the Temaril. I am not sure what your exact questions are, so I hope this covers it. Please let me know if it doesn't. My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. If you are satisfied with my answer, PLEASE RATE IT. Rating it is the only way I get credit for helping you. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.
Expert:  Dr. John replied 7 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. John