Drhollowayvet
Drhollowayvet,
Experience:  Relief Veterinarian at Aloha Animal Hospital
92209471

My dog drinks water then has veryn heavy breathing ,gurgeling

Customer Question

My dog drinks water then has veryn heavy breathing ,gurgeling sound coughs up.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Coughing can be worrying. The Veterinarian will know what you should do. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: sady she is 15 yrs. old was put on steroids 2 days ago to help with arthritis.
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: sady she is 15yrs. old was put on steroids 2 days ago to health with arthritis and hip problems.
JA: Anything else I can tell the Veterinarian before I connect you two?
Customer: no
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Drhollowayvet replied 10 months ago.
I am sorry to hear about your pets coughing and heavy breathing after drinking water. What my suspicion and concern here is that she may have an issue that is causing water to not only go down her esophagus where it should go, but that water seems to be entering her trachea (windpipe) as well. Normally this does not happen if the pet has a fully functional larynx which protects the lungs during swallowing. A condition called laryngeal paralysis would be my main concern here, which involves nerve damage leading the laryngeal muscle that renders it paralyzed and therefore non-functional, so it can't do its job by closing properly when you pet swallows. If the laryngeal fold can't close then water enters the trachea and the lungs causing coughing, irritation, and over time infection. Now that is not to say that this is the only cause of coughing after drinking water, but it is definitely a common cause. So here are some guidelines to go by that should prompt you to take her in soon to see the vet1) If the coughing after drinking water happens repeatedly or every time- she should be seen soon2) If the heavy breathing is persistent, she is struggling to breathe, blue tongue - then this is an emergency and she should be taken in immediately!At the vet an auscultation of the lungs will provide some good information on your pets status and a potential x-ray of her throat and chest most likely will be recommendation to properly diagnose her. The steroids she is currently on to help with arthritis may have to be lowered in dosage to prevent putting her at risk for lung infection. Also placing her on antibiotics may be warranted to slow the progression of her disorder and help keep her stable. I hope the information is helpful. Please feel free to ask me any additional questions or queries about the information I have given and I will be more than happy to continue the conversation about your pet. However if you are satisfied with my answer, then please don't forget to provide me a rating before you go as this is how I am credited with taking the time to assist you with your pet concerns today. Thank you and I wish you and your pet all the best. - Dr. H
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I had to put sady down tracia seemed to completely closed up she could get air at all suffered quiete abit to get air nothing really could be done
I am so sorry to hear about your pets recent passing. You describe a condition called tracheal collapse and this typically does not present acutely in dogs. Sady must have had this condition her entire life and finally succumb to this mechanical defect in her trachea. Again I send my deepest condolences for the loss of your pet Sady and wish there was more that could have been done for her. Sincerely, ***** *****