Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.

She chewed the top off the tv remote, no large pieces injected,

Customer Question

She chewed the top off the tv remote, no large pieces injected, no batteries. A small piece of the circuit. I'm just worried about metals. This is a Bullmastiff.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. Anything else I can tell the Veterinarian before I connect you two?
Customer: I can call her vet
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 6 months ago.
Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I’m sorry to hear that she ate part of a TV remote, including plastic and sharp metals. I am relieved that she didn't eat the batteries.While I understand that getting those pieces out would be nice I do not recommend inducing vomiting in cases where dogs eat sharp objects. The chances of tearing her esophagus or stomach as it contracts to force the pieces out is much too high. I hope she at least chewed them into smaller bits before she swallowed as that will make passage a little easier.In this case we need to try and hope that we can get this to pass through her gastrointestinal tract. To help I recommend starting with a Vaseline (or any generic petroleum jelly) sandwich. Take a slice of whole wheat bread, slather with vaseline as you would peanut butter on a slice of bread, cover with a second slice. Feed it to her piece by piece or she will make a huge Vaseline mess. This adds fiber and hopefully makes the pieces slip rather than catch.For the next few days, until the pieces pass, she'll need to be fed a bland diet with lots of fiber added in small meals several times a day, 4 to 6 meals is ideal. We do this so the pieces are surrounded, the gut isn't irritated contracting on sharp metal/plastic.A homemade diet for this is 1/3 boiled, lean hamburger or boiled, white, skinless chicken, all fats drained off the meat, and 2/3 boiled, white rice. Add 2-3 tablespoons of canned pumpkin, (not pie filling, just pumpkin), to each meal for fiber.You'll need to check her stools frequently for pieces in the next few days.Signs that things aren't going well, and she needs an immediate veterinary visit, are vomiting, a tense painful belly, lack of an appetite, a fever (more than 103.5F rectally) and lethargy.If you aren't seeing fragments in the next day or two a veterinary visit and an abdominal radiograph to see where the pieces is are an option. If it doubt at all that things aren't going well it is always best to have her checked.Once the pieces are passed and she's feeling well then start mixing in her regular food, adding a little more regular and less bland at each meal. It should take a week to get her converted back to regular food.Let me know if you have any questions.