Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience

Dog was spayed had a reaction to the structures and had to

Customer Question

dog was spayed had a reaction to the structures and had to have more surgery to clean out the site and remove the stitches. Had that on Monday and is again having sometype of reaction surgial line is filling with fluid. Is this even possible
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 6 months ago.
Yes, you're likely to be seeing a seroma forming - a collection of serum which leaks from irritated tissues. Even if a suture reaction doesn't occur, just my patients being too active and causing inflammation in addition to that caused by the surgery can induce a seroma. In most cases the serum will be reabsorbed within 7-10 days. I'll aspirate ("tap") it if it becomes excessive and leaks from between the incision sides. This will also hasten healing. Occasionally more than one aspiration is necessary.Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
What if they say there is some neurosis of the tissue at the incision do I just have them drain it and watch it or have them do a third surgery this was suppose to be a simple spading
Necrosis of the tissue (tissue death) might prompt debriding (removal) of the dead tissue if it delays healing. I wouldn't rush into doing that because Charlie's body can remodel that site and we should give her time to do that. I understand your frustration at this time. Spaying isn't a simple surgery but regardless of a surgery's complexity, nobody is happy when complications arise. Please continue our conversation if you wish.