Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years of experience as a small animal veterinarian
14018973

Dog may hav eaten decon

Customer Question

Dog may hav eaten decon
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.
Hi. Welcome to Just Answer. My name is***** In a situation like this with a dog that may have eaten D-con, there are options here. What is the active ingredient in it? How long ago did this maybe happen? Has she vomited?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She did not vomited
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This may have Ben 2 hours ago
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.
Ok. If this possible ingestion happened in the last hour or so, the best thing is to get her to vomit to try and see if she ate it. If she vomits it up, then that confirms she ate some. I would call your vet and get her to their office so they can give her an IV injection to make her vomit. If she brings some up, then I give these cases activated charcoal to reduce further absorption. If the D-con has a Vitamin K antagonist as its ingredient, then I start them on Vitamin K1 daily for 28 days depending on the specific one. The vitamin K1 is the antidote. If it has been over 2 hours, it may have left the stomach and not be seen in the vomit. In these cases, I personally start them on the antidote and don't take any chances. Some may check clotting times in 48 hours to see if they are up, and if they are start at that time.
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.
Here is a good link on the rat poisons for you to have.http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=1765