Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.

Our dog is constantly licking, either herself or bedding and

Customer Question

Our dog is constantly licking, either herself or bedding and flooring. Any suggestions?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 6 months ago.
Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question. This licking behavior could be due to allergies or it could be due to an Obsessive/Compulsive Disorder (OCD) that is common in this breed. It is good that you have tried Benadryl but be sure the dose is 1 mg per pound every 12 hrs to see if this will help. If there is no improvement, then this behavior may be due to a digestive disturbance. Follow these instructions: Fast Lily for 12-24 hrs to allow the digestive tract to calm down and heal.Give her Pepcid AC or Famotidine at 0.5 mg per pound every 8 hrs. That can be purchased over the counter at the pharmacy.Give only small amounts of water during the fast or ice cubes After the fast, feed rice and boiled chicken (2/1) If this behavior has improved, then wean Lizzie back to her regular diet. If this continues, then check with your vet about the possibility of an OCD issue which they can prescribe medication for this condition. Does that make sense to you? Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you. Sincerely, ***** *****
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thank you so much! We'll start with the Benadryl
Good for is a good place to start and hopefully, your sweet Lizzy..(sorry, I said Lily at first) will start acting more normal.