Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)

My 11 year old Yorkie's left eye is swollen (almost shut) and

Customer Question

My 11 year old Yorkie's left eye is swollen (almost shut) and very runny. Once I saw a little red "dot" in the corner. Both eyes are starting to get a little blue from age, the left one got bluer over night and then this problem. I am retired and have two dogs and simply can't afford to go to the vet. Can you suggest any over-the-counter med? When I was young and there was an eye problem with eyes a Borid Acid was used to wash the eye. Would that help with a dog? Thank you so much!
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 6 months ago.
Hello. Thanks for the question. It sounds like there is probably a corneal ulcer present. This is a common cause of squinting, especially with one eye involved. It also causes discharge and redness to the sclera. The treatment is with antibiotic drops. We do a fluorescein dye test to confirm, and then send home the drops. If you have to just do something at home, you can use artificial tear drops from a pharmacy. The antibiotic drops are not available over the counter. Artificial tears will help to lubricate the eye and then you're just waiting for the eye to heal itself. If it worsens, then you really will need to get him seen as an infected ulcer will melt the cornea and eventually rupture the cornea. That results in loss of the eye. We don't want that to happen. Let me know if you have any other question. I hope it heals up quickly.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
How often do I use the drops?
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 6 months ago.
Oh sorry- use them every 4-6 hours for 10-14 days.