Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience

Hey I got chinese shar pie she is five years old she is on

Customer Question

Hey I got chinese shar pie she is five years old she is on heat I wast at home so my friend really play with him and she is so much bleeding she not eating anything and she is grumpy I m so much worried about her because I see on internet that when they r on heat do np exercises then wht can I do now pleas tell me is everything is alright my name is ***** *****
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 6 months ago.
Hi. Welcome to Just Answer. My name is***** I'm sorry to hear about Amber's situation. I'm going to be very honest here and say that her situation has me very concerned. A normal heat cycle shouldn't cause much in the way of an appetite change. A healthy female having a normal heat cycle shouldn't be down and dumpy. When a female is having more discharge than normal and they aren't eating, then an infection in the uterus called a pyometra is very suspect. This is a very serious situation and needs to be addressed by your veterinarian. If it is a pyometra, then surgery is the recommended treatment course for it to spay her to remove the infection from her body. Here is a link on this. owners when they post questions on-line are looking for ways to avoid going to their vet, but in this situation, that is needed to rule this in or out. If it is going on, she needs their help.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
O really but doctor like she is bleeding like little bit little bit constantly bit she is still wants to play so do u still think she definitely got utris infection thanks doctor
Some with the pyometra can have no outward bleeding as they cervix is closed and all the infection is kept inside. That is good that she's still wanting to play, but her not eating anything has me worried. The only way to know if she has this going on or not is to be able to do a physical exam on her and to evaluate the discharge. A slide can be made of it to look at under a microscope to see if it indicates an infection.