Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience

One of my dog's eyes looks like it's rolled back a little.

Customer Question

One of my dog's eyes looks like it's rolled back a little. He's about 13, fox terrier mix. Just noticed it this morning.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 6 months ago.
Hi. Welcome to Just Answer. My name is***** I'm sorry to hear about this situation with your little guy. Do you feel that he's squinting or holding the eye shut more than normal? One of the things that I see a lot that can look similar to this is eye irritation that is causing them to have their third eyelid to come up. One of the most common eye irritations that I see are scratches on the eye / ulcers. When this happens from some sort of trauma, something could have splashed into the eye or bumped the eye during normal activity, it irritates the eye and they retract their globes in a bit and this raises the third eyelid. A lot of times with ulcers, they will squint or hold the eye shut more. Sometimes similar situations can arise from foreign material in the eye itself. The best thing I can recommend is getting him to your vet today so they can look at this up close and most likely stain the eye to see if there is an ulcer there. If there is, it needs treatment as soon as possible to give it the best chance to heal quickly with no complications. Could it be some bacterial infection in the eye that needs treatment? That is another consideration.