Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

Dog is breathing real hard and won't stay still or lay down.

Customer Question

dog is breathing real hard and won't stay still or lay down. acts lost
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 10 months ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today. How long has he been like this?Are his gums pink or pale/white?Any pain anywhere (ie belly, back, etc)?Any access to toxins, drugs, plants, etc?Can you take a breathing rate for me (just count his breaths for 10 seconds + multiply that by 6)?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
2 or 3 hrs gums are pink don't think any pain goes outside other than that no toxins panting so fast can't count
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
maybe 140
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
more like 200 I think. seems weak
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 10 months ago.
Thank you,I have to say that if Chopper is breathing that fast for that long, we have to be very careful here. Its good that his gums are pink (a sign of adequate oxygenation) but if there is no toxicity or pain; we'd be worried that he is having to breath that fast just to keep that oxygen level up (which is a real concern if he seems weak at the same time, since it tells us that its a struggle to so and he may be fatiguing already). And at his age, the concerns for that would be a severe lung infection, asthma, bronchitis, or possible anemia (either due to blood loss, failure to make red blood cells or due to the immune system attacking his red blood cells.). We can also see this with heart issues, but usually we will have a previous history of problems. Now unfortunately, if he is breathing this fast without those other signs for it, we are in a precarious state where there isn't any reliable home treatment. Instead, this is a situation where he needs to be seen urgently. AT the very least, we'd want the local vet to put him on oxygen to ease his breathing. Once he is stable they can listen to his check, check bloods /- xray to see what is causing this and address it properly for him. And the sooner we do that, the better a chance we have to settle this for him and get him breathing easier. Just in case you need a local emergency vet, you can check @ http://www.vetlocator.com/ or viahttp://www.veccs.org/index.php?option=com_hospitals&nationid=1&Itemid=193 Please take care,Dr. B.-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you! : )
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 10 months ago.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- **I hope all is well with your wee one. If possible, I would be grateful if you can rate my recent answer to your question, as this is the only way I am credited for helping you (this is at no extra cost to what you have paid already). This can be done by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page. If you have any lingering questions, please reply to me. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek. Thank you. :)