Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

He ate bacon today. Now he is hiding under the bed, wants

Customer Question

he ate bacon today. Now he is hiding under the bed, wants to be alone. He never acts like that
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: LD 2 years old, 11lbs
JA: Anything else I can tell the Veterinarian before I connect you two?
Customer: no
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 8 months ago.
Hello. Thanks for the question. It sounds like the bacon upset his stomach. Often times we'll see some mild nausea, vomiting, diarrhea or just stomach cramps. It sounds like you're seeing some cramping. In severe cases, we can see full blown pancreatitis that requires hospitalization. Those dogs are very sick. For just some mild GI upset, you could give an antacid at home. I prefer something like Maalox or Mylanta, a liquid, in a dog this small. You can give 1/2 teaspoon every 8-12 hours, as needed. The other option is Pepcid AC (Famotidine)- 1/2 of a 10 mg tablet every 12-24 hours. If you don't have anything, these signs should resolve fully over 12-24 hours without any serious issues. I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.