Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

He was brought to the vet to remove porcupine quills in the

Customer Question

He was brought to the vet to remove porcupine quills in the mouth, and they gave him an antibiotic. He won't eat or drink, and is listless. They had to use a sedative to remove the quills. I have Duramycin for the goats. I was considering using it on the dog since he won't take his antibiotics orally.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help the dog. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Zion. He is 5 years old.
JA: Anything else I can tell the Veterinarian before I connect you two?
Customer: Some of the quills were in the lower jaw bone. Most were removed.
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 8 months ago.
Hello. Thanks for the question. I would not use Duramycin in this dog. This drug, Tetracycline, is rarely used in small animals and it is not indicated for this type of infection. I would want to use Clavamox, Clindamycin or Amoxicillin. I worry that there is a quill that was missed. I would want to sedate him again and look for one that has migrated and abscessed. If he has a fever > 103 and an abscessed quill, we can resolve it by finding it and removing it. If the temp is normal, it could be pain that is causing the lethargy and decreased appetite. In that case, I would start him on some pain meds (Rimadyl + Gabapentin). I would probably start with some injectable meds. Lastly, it could just be inflammation in the mouth causing discomfort when eating. Rinsing the mouth with an antibiotic rinse can help. At home, you can mix up a weak tea solution and rinse out the mouth. I do this for oral ulcers, as it has an anti-inflammatory effect. That is something you can try at home. I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 8 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?