Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

Pearl JA: How can we help? Customer: Our mastiff mix,

Customer Question

Hi Pearl
JA: How can we help?
Customer: Our mastiff mix, Levi is about 130 pounds has been favoring his hind leg for a few weeks. We have deck which was icy at one time with weather and when he came running to greet me, he slipped and fell on the side he is limping on. No swelling, no heat. I have horses as well and use to treating them with either cold water to reduce to swelling or wrapping legs. Treated him with aspirin for about 7 days and that helped greatly. Took him off aspirin and he seemed fine for about 5 days now. But today... he was out in our fenced yard and raced up and down fence line at some other dogs that had gotten loose in our neighborhood. So now after lying down for a bit, he
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: No wound. no swelling. no heat.
JA: The Veterinarian will ask you more detailed questions to find out what is causing this.
Customer: If a sore muscle issue, can I use horse liniment to rub on dog?
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: Levi Franklin, 130 pound mastiff/lab/rottie mix adopted from our local humane society. he is turned 5 years old this past Dec. We have had since he was 20 weeks old
JA: Anything else I can tell the Veterinarian before I connect you two?
Customer: Never had any unsoundness until he took fall on our icy deck that day. No swelling, no heat anywhere that I could see in that leg from the day he fell down, the next day day after, etc
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.
Hello, thanks for the question. Is Levi still using the leg or is he just holding it up?What is in the horse liniment that you want to use?