Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.

My dog is licking everything and we think she wallowed a lamb

Customer Question

My dog is licking everything and we think she wallowed a lamb bone from garbage
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 6 months ago.
Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today! Unfortunately in this situation we cannot induce vomiting because if ingested the material can have sharp edges and do more damage to the esophagus on the way up so at this point all we can do is a few precautionary things to minimize the risk of an obstruction but at the first signs of vomiting it is time to take your dog to the veterinarian and have them evaluated/ x-rayed. The increased licking indicates nausea and can be related to the bone or unrelated... 1.) Feed 3 pieces of bread now as well as pepcid (famotidine) over the counter 0.25 mg/ pound every 12 hours x 3 days 2.) Take a nice walk to help move the material through. Not running around but a leash walk which helps encourage emptying of the stomach and digestion 3.) In about 2 hours repeat the bread which is used to help bulk up the foreign body to hopefully push them through and protect the edges from causing damage 4.) Monitor for signs of the material coming out the other end in the next 24-48 hours 5.) Again tomorrow a few nice long leash walks to help encourage gi motility and pushing the foreign material through the intestinal tract This is the difficult part, the watching and waiting because all we can do is see if it will pass on its own Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!
I am online another 20 minutes this evening to assist you both...
Hi Denise,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Ruby. How is everything going?
Dr. Altman