Doc Sara
Doc Sara, Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a dog and cat veterinarian with a lifetime of experience in our family veterinary hospital.

Need advice on vet approved coprophagia prevention product.

Customer Question

Need advice on vet approved coprophagia prevention product. Have sheltie with deep love for feral cat poop. Suspect was source for canine hemorrhagic gastroenteritis. What testing should be conducted if any to detect medical problem that may need correcting?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Doc Sara replied 6 months ago.
Hi there, I'm Dr. Sara. I'ma licensed veterinarian who works exclusively with dogs and cats. I'm sorry to hear that Mac Tavish went thought that bout of hemorrhagic gastroenteritis. It can certainly be difficult to prevent a dog from finding things in the yard to eat. I'll do my best to help. Unfortunately, the anti-coprophagia products are all things that would need to be fed to the animal producing the poop - in this case your feral cats. The idea is that they pass though the GI tract and cause the feces to take on an unpleasant taste (as if feces could ever taste pleasant!!). You may be able to "ruin" his taste for feces by using a product like Forbid (an anti-coprophagic) with both dogs so that all the feces that you control will have that unpleasant taste. But in this case, unless you're feeding the feral cats all of their food, there's likely no way to get the product into the cats. For what it's worth, these products are only helpful in some cases, definitely not all. I always say that they're worth a try but it doesn't surprise me if the behavior continues. You can also try finding some feces and try to surprise him by placing some buffalo sauce or hot sauce on the feces to discourage him and give him a shock when trying to eat it. This technique is really only partially successful as well, but it's certainly worth a try. In terms of what testing should be done - a fecal flotation via centrifugation is a test that should be run on Mac Tavish at least once a year, and some vets do it more frequently. Most veterinarians (self included) recommend a monthly parasite preventive like Heartgard or Interceptor to be administered once monthly to remove any parasites that may have developed.Please let me know what questions I can handle for you.~Dr. Sara ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------My goal is to provide you with the most complete and accurate “five star” answer. If my answer isn’t what you were expecting, it’s incomplete, or you have more questions PLEASE REPLY to let me know what information you are looking for BEFORE giving me a negative rating! If my answer has been helpful to you, please show me by giving me a favorable rating. Thank you so much :)