Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }

Dog ate contents to microwave heating pad early this morning.

Customer Question

Dog ate contents to microwave heating pad early this morning. Has thrown up 6 times?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 6 months ago.
Hello and welcome, This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now. I am a small animal vet with many years experience with dogs and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next five to ten minutes or so. We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls } Regards, *****
Hello again Bill, I have worked out an answer for you below ... 1. If your dog did not swallow the actual fabric but just the contents then this should not present too much of a problem since these products are typically filled with corn or beans or the like. However while toxicity is unlikely to be an issue you dog could still experience a mild transient bout of vomiting and / or diarrhoea because of this unexpected food source. 2. Some owners try and control this sort of situation with diet alone before they try anything else. This is logical and often works, the basis of this is to give the intestinal tract a complete rest and then bring it back slowly to function, resting the alimentary tract is the critical factor. It would go something like this ...A. Starve him for 24 hours but make sure he has access to water.B. The next day feed him four or five small light meals in the day. These meals should be the likes of chicken, fish, scrambled egg etc. with a little rice.C. If he picks up on this diet gradually reintroduce his normal diet over the next few days.3. Of course if any of the above does not quickly start to work or if he deteriorates further in any way you should have your vet check him over just to be on the safe side. I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.Regards, ***** ***** be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.