Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience

My name is ***** ***** my 25 pound puppy ate 25 mg of metoprolol

Customer Question

my name is ***** ***** my 25 pound puppy ate 25 mg of metoprolol and a probiotic and a senna laxative
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: what do you need to know?
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Dog Veterinarians generally expect a deposit of about $19 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 6 months ago.
It's reported that adverse effects from metoprolol most commonly occur in geriatric animals or those that have acute decompensating heart disease. Doses as high as 3 mg/lb have been noted and so 25 mg in a 25 lb puppy (1 mg/lb) should be well-tolerated. The most common clinical signs after exposure to this drug were lethargy, tachycardia (increased heart rate), vomiting, and bradycardia (slow heart rate) and it's just as likely that your puppy will remain unaffected. The probiotic is a non-issue but the senna acts as a laxative in dogs just as in people; senna is an irritant of very little toxicity when given as a single adult human dose. There's no need to induce emesis or treat in any manner.Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.