Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)

Pearl, My dog seems to have injured his back leg. We have

Customer Question

Hi Pearl, My dog seems to have injured his back leg. We have brought him to the vet last time and they did xrays and said that his hip socket protrudes from his body a bit so its prone to injury
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: they gave me anti inflamitories last time which i have been giving to him and Tramal
JA: What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Oscar and he is 13
JA: Anything else I can tell the Veterinarian before I connect you two?
Customer: malteses shitzue breed
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 6 months ago.
Hello. Thanks for the question. It sounds like he has some degree of arthritis or dysplasia in the hip socket. This can lead to chronic pain and lameness. I would get a consult with an orthopedic surgeon or a regular vet that has a special interest in orthopedics. This is something that will likely need an FHO (femoral head osteotomy) procedure to remove the head of the femur (thigh bone) and thus eliminate that bone on bone contact in the hip. That contact is the cause of the pain. This FHO procedure eliminates that.Here is a nice write up on hip dislocation that explains the surgery: I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.