Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)

I think my 8th month old puppy ate a Viibryd pill. I've taken

Customer Question

I think my 8th month old puppy ate a Viibryd pill. I've taken her to the vet and she didn't really know what to do. She gave her some Valium to calm her down but I'm just really worried about her. She can't hardly walk, hassling and tongue want go back in her mouth. She's pitiful.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the puppy will be able to digest that. Anything else I can tell the Veterinarian before I connect you two?
Customer: I don't think so. Thank you.
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 6 months ago.
Hello. What was the mg on the Vibryd tablet?What does your dog weigh?And, how long ago was the ingestion? This will help to know what to do from here.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
40 mg and she weighs 5.4 lbs. I took her to the vet around 5:40. She was fine and then all of sudden she started acting funny.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
When we got home from the vet she was trying to scoot around bc she's not able to stand completely up and walk. I picked her up to put her on her bed and she pooped all on the floor and me. She's been trying to poop some more it seems.
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 6 months ago.
Ok thanks. That is a pretty significant dose for a dog that size. I would have likely kept the dog in the hospital on IV fluids to flush it out. I would also not give Valium. That can actually make these dogs a little worse. It happens a lot, though, as Valium is supposed to calm down dogs. In these dogs that get into anti-depressants, we see high serotonin levels. Valium can make those signs worse. The treatment for these dogs, is Cyproheptadine. It reverses the Serotonin Syndrome signs that we see. If you do nothing, the signs should resolve over 24-48 hours. Ideally, though, I would have this dog at a 24 hour vet to treat more aggressively through the night. I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
They didn't have anyone to watch her over night and I don't know where a 24 hour vet is around here.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Is it a good sign she's trying to poop
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 6 months ago.
Ok, in that case you may just have to wait it out at home. You can look up emergency vets in your area, or call a few vet clinics and see who they refer to after hours. If nothing else, just wait it out at home. The trying to poop is not uncommon with seratonin syndrome.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
It's like when she goes to try and poop it's hurting her
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 6 months ago.
Seratonin dogs will show typical signs of increased heart rate, blood pressure, urination, defecation, vomiting and hyper-activity. We can also see tremors and seizures if really severe. I think the urge to go is hormonal, even though she may not have anything in there.