Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience

It's been a month or so that the 10 year old dog vomits once

Customer Question

it's been a month or so that the 10 year old dog vomits once or twice a week (white greenish foam)..
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?
Customer: we have given the dog it's usual dry dog food (BLUE with chicken etc) and an occasional doggie greenie for its teeth.. but she has not had a greenie for two days but vomited again today.. she sniffs the groudd a lot.. no telling what she picks up off the ground when we aren't looking?
JA: Anything else I can tell the Veterinarian before I connect you two?
Customer: we have fresh water for her all the time.. nothing else besides the BLUE dog food
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: Bella
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Drhollowayvet replied 6 months ago.
I am sorry to hear about your pets chronic vomiting condition that has been going on for approx. 1 month in duration. Based on your pets strict diet of dog food it is unlikely this was caused by dietary indiscretion (eating foods she shouldn't have), plus the duration of the vomiting rules this out as a cause. However there are other possibilities of vomiting up bile (greenish or yellow foam) which involves a number of organ malfunctions, underlying disease conditions and even a simple acid reflux disorder. I have a few questions for your concerning your pet to get a full picture of which possibilities are more likely and the next best steps towards your pets care. 1) Does the vomiting seem to happen at a certain time of the day or is it random?2) Any other symptoms to speak of? Lethargy? Loose stool? Lack of appetite on some days? 3) When was the last time your pet was seen by a veterinarian and had routine senior bloodwork done (typically started with pets over the age of 7)?- Dr. H