Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience

I have a chocolate cocker spaniel. He lost his eyes due to

Customer Question

I have a chocolate cocker spaniel. He lost his eyes due to glaucoma. Now has lost most of his hearing. He is about 9-10 years old. He is constantly seeking attention. When we are sitting, he finds us and starts pawing at our legs or trying to get into our laps. there are times we just hold him in our lap to calm him down. Also has chronic kidney disease. We have tried melatonin without success. We give him a benadryl at night so he will sleep. Anything else that can be done?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. John replied 6 months ago.
Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. First and foremost, I would make sure there isn't anything that is causing him discomfort. Make sure you check his other eye frequently to see if the pressures are rising in it. If they get glaucoma in 1 eye, there is a good chance of it developing in the other eye. If his hearing problems are due to chronic ear infections, chances are there is a lot of inflammation deeper in the ear that needs to be addressed. With his kidney problems, I would assume that you get his blood work checked regularly. That is good to make sure there are no other imminent diseases. In many of these cases, though, that anxiety gets worse as they age, especially if they are having problems with some of these normal senses. I would also have your vet make sure he isn't having any discomfort from arthritis. You might want to consider having your vet put him on something to help with anxiety. Fluoxetine is a good choice. Doing a medication trial for a month would be a good idea to see how he responds. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps. My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. If you are satisfied with my answer, please rate it. Rating it is the only way I get credit for helping you. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.
Expert:  Dr. John replied 6 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. John