Jess K
Jess K, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Licensed Veterinarian

Yesterday my dog got into the trash and started throwing

Customer Question

Hello. yesterday my dog got into the trash and started throwing up, i thought it was because of that. Just today shes been throwing up her brekfast and had bloody stools. what could be wrong
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did your dog eat anything unusual?
Customer: She got into the trash yesterday.
JA: What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Her name is ***** ***** 3 months
JA: Anything else I can tell the Veterinarian before I connect you two?
Customer: She dose not have any shots. we just got her a month ago. This is the first time anything like this has happened.
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Jess K replied 6 months ago.
Hello, this is Dr. Jess. I am very sorry to hear about your puppy. So she is vomiting with bloody stools? How is her energy level? She is about 3 months old with no vaccines yet?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
No shes been throwing up all of her food since yesterday and just this morning shes been having all bloody stools
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
She dose not have her vaccines yet. I was going to go and get them today. Her engery level is nothing. She dosnt want to walk, play, wont eat or drink anything
Expert:  Jess K replied 6 months ago.
Ok. Then she definitely needs to get in to see the vet today. Hopefully she just has some severe gastritis from getting into the trash, but any puppy with vomiting, diarrhea (especially if bloody) and lethargy, we worry very much about a disease called Parvo virus. This is a disease that attacks the digestive tract and can cause all the symptoms you are describing. Since she is so young, and hasn't had vaccines yet, she is especially prone to getting it. You need to get her to a vet today (even if you have to be seen as an emergency) because the longer we take to start treatment on these guys, the poorer the outcome will be. Treatment will include fluid therapy, injectable medication to stop vomiting and antibiotics to help fight off secondary infection. It is possible she doesn't have this disease, but we must be safe and check!
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
okay. We will take her in. do you have a price range on how much this might all cost me? And what is she dosnt have the disease? Than its just an upset tummy. wont that go away without seeing a dr?
Expert:  Jess K replied 6 months ago.
I cannot really give you a price because it truly depends on the vet's office. If you call one, they can give you an estimate for an exam, fecal test, and parvo test to at least get you started. If it is an upset tummy, it is a severe one (nonstop vomiting, bloody diarrrhea and weakness are not things you want to just wait out in a young puppy). There isnt much you can do at home to treat vomiting because at home treatments are all oral, so we cannot give them anything if they are vomiting, they will just puke it right back up, making things worse. If the test is negative, they will still want to give her some medication (injectable) to help get the vomiting to stop and rehydrate her!Please let me know if you have any other questions! If you do not, please take a moment to CLICK AND RATE our conversation so we can know if you were satisfied with your service and I can get credit for helping to answer your question. Best of luck to you and your pup!
Expert:  Jess K replied 6 months ago.
Just checking to see how your puppy ended up doing?