Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.

Our dog is acting really strange. Not sure if he needs a vet

Customer Question

Our dog is acting really strange. Not sure if he needs a vet visit.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Here is what has happened thus far:On Thursday night, my mother-in-law passed away. Saturday-Monday, we left Bristol in the care of friends. They said he seemed melancholy and didn't eat much. We brought him home and he ate ok. That night, he yelped loudly like something startled him. He ran up to the landing on our stairs and slept there, which he has NEVER done before. He is eating, but slowly, without enthusiasm. Today, he won't stop whining, pacing and panting heavily. He has also been howling, which he usually only does when he hears sirens.
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 6 months ago.
Good Afternoon and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question. These symptoms could be due to an unstable disc in Bristol's back. The whining and sudden yelping tells us that he has pain somewhere. This is very common in older border collies because of their conformation and high energy. Since Bristol does not have any digestive issues, this is the most likely cause for her pain and odd behavior. Since this is deep within the vertebrae, she will not show pain when you touch or palpate these areas. This can happen when she jumps up or down on something or just moves the wrong way. The best thing you can do for now as long as Bristol is eating, is to give her aspirin at 5 mg per pound every 12 hrs. This will decrease the inflammation that is causing this pain and start to stabilize this disc. Do not allow her to jump on or off anything or even climb stairs to allow this disc to stabilize. It is best to have your vet examine sweet Bristol to be sure that this is the case and that this treatment is appropriate. The fact that she is experiencing some stress from your terrible situation, may have compounded this. I am very sorry for your loss! I know this can be tough and now with Bristol having problems, more stress on you. Does that make sense to you?Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you. Sincerely, ***** *****
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I hear what you are saying and it makes sense, although he still wants to play, has a rope that he keeps flinging around the room.
With this condition, Bristol can act normal until he moves a certain way and then the pain comes out. It will not hurt to try the aspirin for now. This will tell you for sure if this is the cause.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Ok. I made a vet appt for 3:30pm. Do you think that's soon enough?
Yes, that is soon enough but start the aspirin just in case and keep Bristol quiet. Please let me know how Bristol is doing. Thanks!!