Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.

Thinking about adopting a 2y old Min Pin with hx of broken

Customer Question

Thinking about adopting a 2y old Min Pin with hx of broken left rear ankle. Never tx but dog is walking and running but sometimes pulls up the leg. Doesn't appear to be in pain.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 6 months ago.
Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!First, congratulations on your potential new adoption! This is a difficult question because an ideal scenario would be to have x-rays taken and a veterinary orthopedist review the x-rays to give you a better longterm prognosis of how that leg is going to effect his quality of life, whether physical therapy or pain medications or even corrective surgery are going to be necessary as he ages or even sooner. The fact that he runs and walks on the leg is a great sign but not necessarily indicative of him being pain free. Especially holding it up occasionally at a runOn a positive note, being a smaller dog is a hopeful sign that it will not effect him significantly in the long run. Larger breed dogs are going to have more difficulties as they age in maintaining their comfort because they have to put more weight on that leg as they ambulate...If you are considering adoption my first step would be to press to have x-rays taken of the leg if at all possible by the rescue and request a radiologic review by a veterinary orthopedist to give you a more comprehensive understanding of what his longterm care will entail. It might be nothing or more invasive surgery and at 2 he could potentially live 13+ more years so this is quite an investment on your part.Please let me know how else I can assist you today! Good luck in your decision! If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!
I am glad to see you were able to view my responses. I am online another 10 minutes if I can assist with any additional questions or concerns today! If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept with the stars on the top of your screen so I may be compensated for my time. If you are having any difficulties you can also state your rating (excellent, good, fair) in our chat as an alternative. Thank you!

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Altman