Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience

Good morningI have an 8 year old cocker spaniel who started

Customer Question

Good morning
I have an 8 year old cocker spaniel who started coughing last spring 2015. It was sporadic but noticeable. My vet put her on Temaril in the summer when her cough became more pronounced and an intestinal antiobiotic because her stools were very loose and mucousy. The Temaril cleared up her cough and the intestinal antiobiotic appeared to work and made her stools firm. At this time, I switched her to a canned wet dog food recommended by my vet (she was formerly on NOW dry salmon dog food) that was easier on her stomach.
Through the fall, her coughing was sporadic but this late winter spring, her coughing became pronounced again - the coughing is about 2-3 coughs with a gagging sound at the end as if she is trying to expel something. I had inquired about tracheal collapse with my vet but I believe that he thinks that it is something else. He prescribed temaril alone over the phone the other day without seeing my dog in his office and the effect of the temaril was immediate. Not only did it stop the cough completely but also my pet's stool was firm again for the five days that she was taking it.
The temaril has now stopped and I see my pet's stool become loose again and she coughed very slightly today - and I am wondering if it will return. Any ideas as to what direction I should purse? Thanks you.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 6 months ago.
While any age dog can cough secondary to a simple respiratory infection such as infectious tracheobronchitis ("kennel cough"), older dogs such as Hershie who are coughing and steroid responsive - Temaril-P contains prednisolone - are likely to be suffering from a chronic sterile bronchitis (chronic obstructive pulmonary disease/COPD). An inflammatory bowel disease (IBD) is also prednisolone responsive and so that GI disorder needs to be considered as well. Don't hesitate to have Hershie's chest X-rayed. This should have been performed long ago. It's the diagnostic of choice in such a patient. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Hershie. How is everything going?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I have an appointment to take her to the vet and will ask for a chest x-ray. Thank you.
That's good to hear. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience.