Dr. G.
Dr. G., Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Private Practice Veterinarian
71397578

I recently took my puppy to the vet and he was diagnosed with

Customer Question

I recently took my puppy to the vet and he was diagnosed with parvo (2 days ago) they gave him antibiotics to take at home but he seems to be getting worse and I'm worried. I don't know if they get worse before they get better, but he's lost so much weight, I can see his bones now.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Anything else I can tell the Veterinarian before I connect you two?
Customer: That is all.
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. G. replied 8 months ago.
Hello, my name is***** am a licensed veterinarian and I will try and help you as best as I can. Please allow a few minutes for me to read your responses and for me to respond back.
Expert:  Dr. G. replied 8 months ago.
I am sorry to hear your puppy has Parvo, it can indeed be quite a devastating disease. Treatment for parvovirus typically consists of in-patient management: hospitalizing on IV fluids, IV antibiotics, and medications to help protect the GI tract. Many parvo cases can become very severe very quickly and will require even more aggressive management: plasma transfusions, hospitalization for a week or longer, etc. If your puppy is getting worse, he most likely needs to head back to the vet to be kept in the hospital to be treated. Your vet may send you to another hospital if they do not offer 24 hour monitoring and care.
Expert:  Dr. G. replied 8 months ago.
Parvo can be lethal, so it is best to be as aggressive as possible as early as possible. Please feel free to reply back at any time. I will stand by and await your response.