Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)

Pearl I just noticed that one of my dogs toe nails has turned

Customer Question

Hi Pearl I just noticed that one of my dogs toe nails has turned partially black
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Roger and he's a little over two
JA: Anything else I can tell the Veterinarian before I connect you two?
Customer: Half of the nail bed is black
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 6 months ago.
Hello. Thanks for the question. Could you take a picture of the nail and post it here?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 6 months ago.
I'm not seeing one- can you send it again please.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
It says it's attached
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 6 months ago.
There we go- I'm taking a look now.
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 6 months ago.
Wow, that is kind of weird if it all of the sudden turned black. It looks like normal pigmentation to the nail. This is common in many dogs. I don't know that I've ever seen one turn black from white or transparent. I have seen many dogs where their hair turns dark or black where it was previous light or white. This can happen secondary to an irritation or just for no known cause over time. It's just due to pigmentation forming at the hair follicle. I haven't seen it in a nail though. I suppose the mechanism would be the same. I don't think it's anything to worry about, though. If the nail wasn't growing normally or if it were causing pain, then I would get it looked at and rule out something bad like Melanoma. I think that is highly unlikely, though. Let me know if you have any other questions.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
He tripped running up our stairwell in the other day in the apartment the other day. I wonder if he hurt the nail bed on the cement floor maybe? Or irritated it? I'll take him to the vet this week:
/weekend as it seems very odd.
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 6 months ago.
That could very well be. It could just be a bruised nail bed- kind of like hitting your thumb with a hammer and it turns purple. I would expect it to be painful, though. Maybe he's just stoic!
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 6 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?