Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.

Is there a holistic preventative heartworm

Customer Question

Is there a holistic preventative for canine heartworm
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 6 months ago.
Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I understand that you would prefer a naturopathic heartworm prevention rather than traditional heartworm medications.Holistic means to consider the entire body, not just the illness that we see currently. Hopefully all veterinarians, both traditional and naturopathic, take that approach.Please do not be fooled by "holistic therapies" for heartworm. There are quite a few out there and their ingredients range from black walnut to garlic (which can actually be toxic for dogs). They do not work and in the meantime a heartworm infection is a real possibility.While I would agree that the older medications to prevent heartworm including DEC (diethylcarbamazine) were more toxic, especially because they needed to be given daily, the ones we have now are less toxic and need to be given less frequently.The newer heartworm preventions can be given less frequently because they kill heartworms at a certain longer lived, immature stage of their life cycle. The medication does not persist long in the body, it kills that stage of the parasite if present and the medication is cleared from the body in about 48 hours. So when giving monthly preventions like Sentinel even though it is a once a month prevention milbemycin doesn't stay in the body for more than a couple days. I hope that makes you feel more comfortable using Sentinel.Please let me know if you have any further questions.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
An answer of "no" and a $5 fee would've been sufficient. For $19 and the answer you gave - I will not be spending that in your website again.
Thank you
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 6 months ago.
I'm sorry that you are unhappy with my response.Since you came here looking for information I felt that you deserved an explanation of why the naturopathic preventions are not recommended, and why the current preventions we have are safer than the past alternatives.If you feel I wasted your time with my attempt to explain my response I can certainly forward this to customer service for a refund if you would prefer.