Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

I need a few answers please. He is throwing up. Basically stomach

Customer Question

I need a few answers please. He is throwing up. Basically stomach juice. Because he hasn't ate
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Took him to the lake which he loves and he drank a good bit of water He has done this once before and we came to the conclusion after a lot of Med that it was probably an ameba or parasite that made him so sick. His name is ***** ***** he's 3 1/2
JA: Anything else I can tell the Veterinarian before I connect you two?
Customer: Shitzu 15lbs
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
He does seem to have a fever. He want eat. Is there anything I can do to
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
A $400 vet bill is kind of steep being a single mom
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Any meds
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 8 months ago.
Hello. Thanks for the question. The vomiting is likely due to some type of bug- virus or bacteria. Most dogs can be treated symptomatically. There are some things you can do at home to get him to recover in most cases. First, pull the food and water for 6-8 hours to rest the gut. During that time, you can give an antacid- Pepcid (Famotidine)- 5 mg every 12-24 hours, as needed. You could also pick up Meclizine over the counter and give 12.5 mg once daily for nausea. Once the vomiting stops, you can feed a bland diet of chicken/ rice. If any diarrhea, you can also add 1-2 teaspoons of canned pumpkin or sweet potato baby food for the fiber component. If that doesn't work, then I would get a vet visit for a more aggressive treatment approach. I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.