Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

My husky chewed off the cap of a new bottle of round up. I

Customer Question

my husky chewed off the cap of a new bottle of round up. I found the gallon jug 3/4 empty on the lawn
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Nanook 3 yr old. the lawn did not feel wet where the jug was laying
JA: Anything else I can tell the Veterinarian before I connect you two?
Customer: no
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.
Hello. I'm sorry for the long wait. I just logged on and saw this. I think it's unlikely that the dog ingested that much. Chances are, he was chewing up the bottle and emptied most of it on the lawn. If some was ingested, we usually see GI side effects- vomiting, diarrhea. If a significant amount was ingested, we could see neurologic signs- tremors, seizures. If you notice mild vomiting/ diarrhea, it should resolve on it's own. If it's severe and he's not eating/ drinking, then I would go to a vet for some fluids and anti-nausea meds. If you notice any neurologic signs, then get to a vet asap for more aggressive care. I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?