Jess K
Jess K, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Licensed Veterinarian
89827615

My chinchillas ears are kind of crusty and not smooth like

Customer Question

My chinchillas ears are kind of crusty and not smooth like they are suppose to be. He doesn't have any discharge or anything coming from his ears and his fur and teeth and eyes and feet are all just fine. Seems healthy otherwise. Is there anything I can do to help his crusty ears?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. How old is Ears?
Customer: His ears are crusty. His name is ***** ***** he will be 6 years old May 1st
JA: Anything else I can tell the Veterinarian before I connect you two?
Customer: I'm not sure. Just everything about him seems healthy otherwise. I'm a vet tech as wall and I've seen this happen in other chinchillas but since I don't work with chinchillas often I don't know what this is or how to treat it. I keep wondering if he needs some sort of moisturizer or is there some sort of anti fungal or something that would need to be out in his dust bath. They are just dry and crusty
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Jess K replied 8 months ago.
Hello, this is Dr. Jess. I am sorry to hear about your chinchilla! One thing I worry about when I see crusted skin in these little guys is ringworm. This can often be seen first on hairless areas of the body such as the ears, so it would be wise to do a ringworm culture to ensure this isn't the issue. You can do a scraping of the crust on the ear and put it into the ringworm culture media. If it does end up being ringworm, there used to be a fungicide you could purchase at a nursery or plant store called Captan that you can mix in with the chinchilla dust, called Captan, and you would use 1 teaspoon of Captan per 2 cups of dust bath to help control the spread of the infection. You can also apply miconazole topically once daily to the ears for 2 weeks if the culture is positive. I would encourage the fungal culture and an exam by the vet to ensure that this is the likely problem.