Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM 15 years. Compassionate, Caring, Experienced.

My dog has had kidney stones removed and the vet recommended

Customer Question

My dog has had kidney stones removed and the vet recommended Royal Canin a urinary food. She eats only soft food and she is getting so she does not like the food. Is there any other urinary food that we could try?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gabby replied 6 months ago.
Hi there. This is Dr. Gabby. Both Science Diet and Purina make prescription urinary tract diets. The particular diet she needs will depend on the ph of her urine and what type of crystals/stones were in her urinary tract. But if you tell your vet she will not eat the Royal Canin SO then your vet can recommend another you can try based on her type of stones and ph of her urine.You could try Purina URorScience diet C/dIf she had stones removed I would not take a risk in trying any of the over the counter diets.The wet food increases the fluid she takes in and that helps prevent stones from forming.You can also add water to her food to increase her fluid intake.Does that help? Do you have any additional questions?

I'm just following up on our conversation about Muffie. How is everything going?

Dr. Gabby