Doc Sara
Doc Sara, Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a dog and cat veterinarian with a lifetime of experience in our family veterinary hospital.

My dog keeps vomiting and she's having trouble breathing like

Customer Question

My dog keeps vomiting and she's having trouble breathing like I can see her belly move when she breathes.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did your dog eat anything unusual?
Customer: No she ate the usual. I changed her dog food like last week and she's been avoiding it. She was playful all day and my youngest son wet her with some fluid & took her outside in the cold for like 2 minutes. I brought her inside and gave her a bath and she started vomiting as soon as I gave her a bath.
JA: OK. The Veterinarian will know what to do. Anything else I can tell the Veterinarian before I connect you two?
Customer: She's been coughing or sneezing the last few days. Not much, but like 3 back to back each day.
JA: What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Luna and she will be 6 months on Sunday.
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
She sounds congested in her lungs.
Expert:  Doc Sara replied 6 months ago.
Hi there, I'm Dr. Sara. I'm a licensed veterinarian who works exclusively with dogs and cats. I'm sorry to hear that Luna has been vomiting tonight - I will do my best to help. When I see young dogs that are suddenly vomiting but acting relatively normally otherwise, the first couple of things I consider are infectious diseases (think stomach flu), dietary issues (I ate something that didn't agree with me) or foreign body obstructions (I ate something that's blocking my GI tract). These can range from mild things that they get over on their own, up to surgical emergencies.As long as their breathing is not labored, there is no abdominal distention, and their gums are pink and moist, I usually recommend holding off on giving any food or water for at least 6-8 hours. If they are continuing to vomit though this time, it's time to see the vet. If they stop vomiting, then I start by offering a small portion of water. If they keep that down for more than 2 hours, I offer another small amount of water and a small taste of food (1-2tsp). As long as they continue to tolerate small meals, you can gradually increase the amount of food at each sitting and increase the time in between meals. If they aren't eating at all for >24 hours, this also merits a trip to the vet. Any sort of labored breathing is of particular concern and would merit a trip to an emergency vet urgently. If she's still wet from the bath or what your son wet her with earlier, then do be careful to keep her warm and dry her up as quickly as you're able so that she doesn't get chilled. The coughing and sneezing is likely not related, but it's worth mentioning when she's seen by the vet in case it is significant.Please let me know what questions I can handle for you.~Dr. Sara ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------My goal is to provide you with the most complete and accurate “five star” answer. If my answer isn’t what you were expecting, it’s incomplete, or you have more questions PLEASE REPLY to let me know what information you are looking for BEFORE giving me a negative rating! If my answer has been helpful to you, please show me by giving me a favorable rating. Thank you so much :)
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
She's having labored breathing and keeps hiding under the bed. She just vomited again. I saw her have a chocolate cookie but we took it away. I don't know if she ate something without me noticing but her vomit is white and frothy.
Expert:  Doc Sara replied 6 months ago.
That labored breathing is the thing that concerns me the most and would lead me to suggest that you seek emergency care for her. Typically the vomiting stops on its own, but the labored breathing is something that should be evaluated by a vet ASAP. One chocolate cookie wouldn't likely be enough to cause a toxicity unless Luna is very small or the cookie was made with a lot of baker's chocolate or dark chocolate. That white and frothy vomit is what you'll see once they've emptied their stomach and there's nothing left to come up besides saliva and stomach acid (like dry heaving).~Dr. Sara
Expert:  Doc Sara replied 6 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Doc Sara