Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years of experience as a small animal veterinarian

My dog has had kidney stones removed and the vet that did the

Customer Question

My dog has had kidney stones removed and the vet that did the surgery said that she has to eat urinary dog food such as Royal Canin. She will only eat soft food and she is getting so she doesn't like that food. Is there any other urinary food that she might like better?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 6 months ago.
Hi. Welcome to Just Answer. My name is***** Thank you for your question. There are definitely other urinary diets on the market that are out there. If she's not wanting to eat the current diet as well, you should ask your vet about trying another one. In this situation, the correct other diet to chose depends on what the stones were. Certain diets are required ideally for specific stones to try and keep them from coming back. Here is a good link on calcium oxalate stones as they are a pretty common one for you to learn more about. depending on what the specific stone type was, then that dictates what feeding options there are. Hills Science Diet makes a lot of veterinary prescription diets that are used for various dogs with stones. Another option is cooking for them specifically. To do this, a good online web site to consult is