Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.

He has black pellets in his vomit. He is eating and drinkng.

Customer Question

He has black pellets in his vomit. He is eating and drinkng. Took him to emergency care on Sunday. X rays with no blockage apparent. Changed food to chicken and rice. Monday was fine. Today vomiting dark liquid with black pellets.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did X Rays With No Blockage Apparent eat anything unusual?
Customer: Not that we know of. Called ER and said to try for ultrasound with regular vet. Trying to navigate sense of urgency. They also put him on Prilosec.
JA: How old is X Rays With No Blockage Apparent?
Customer: From Sunday
JA: Anything else I can tell the Veterinarian before I connect you two?
Customer: That's it.
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 6 months ago.
Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I'm sorry to hear about your pup Reese. Dark/black material (coffee grounds is a good description) in the vomit usually indicates digested blood in the stomach or small intestine. Blood in the gastrointestinal tract can be caused by a primary viral, bacterial or protozoan infection, or eating something that irritates the gastrointestinal tract such as a toxin or foreign body (bones, sharp plastic), inflammatory bowel disease or a severe case of parasites, an obstruction or twisting of the bowel leading to intestinal wall damage, internal organ failure or cancer.The danger with blood in the vomit is that means the stomach or intestine is raw and a raw lining more easily allows bacteria into the abdominal cavity itself and can lead to peritonitis. How have his stools been? Any signs of dark, tarry stools?Can you check his temperature for me? Normal dog temp is 102F. A fever is >103.5F.Can you also check his mucous membrane (gum) color? They should be bubblegum pink and if you press on them they should blanche then return to pink in less than 2 seconds. They should also be moist not sticky. If they are sticky that means he is dehydrated, and I am more concerned.If his color is fine and he doesn't have a fever or a subnormal temperature (less than 99F) then he is more stable than a dog with a high fever or a low temperature, but I still would recommend an ultrasound as soon as possible. If this is an ulcer or a partial obstruction we need to know. If blood work hasn't been done to check organ function and his red count then that is essential too.If he has a fever, his mucous membranes aren't pink, and when you press on his abdomen it seems very tense or painful I would be more even concerned. These are possible signs of a blockage, pancreatitis (inflammation of her pancreas causing increased enzyme production, usually related to a high fat meal), a possibly perforating ulcer, or possibly a viral infection. These are emergency situations and he needs to be seen immediately.If he cannot be examined tonight do not try to feed him any more, but do continue the Prilosec. Fast him for at least 12 hours. This may stop gut spasms and help restore normal motility. Right now hydration is important because of the vomiting so make sure he's drinking well. It's a good idea to offer pedialyte too in a few hours to replace electrolytes. You can also offer clear broths. If he won't drink on his own you will need to dribble it in with a syringe (2 to 3 teaspoons at a time). If this goes well (no vomiting) then in 12 hours you can try a bland diet. If he continues to vomit even without food then he needs to see an emergency veterinarian for more diagnostics (bloodwork and radiographs and/or an ultrasound of his abdomen) tonight.To make a bland diet boil hamburger (or chicken) chunks, drain off all fat, and mix 50:50 with plain boiled white rice. Feed 2 tablespoons initially. If he handles that well then feed him 1/4 cup of the mixture a couple hours later. If he handles that fine then feed him 4 meals of this mixture daily until he can see his veterinarian.If he continues vomiting, runs a fever, has a painful abdomen or stops eating he needs an emergency veterinary examination.If she continues vomiting , has increasing amounts of frank blood or dark tarry stools (suggesting digested blood), has a painful/tense abdomen or a fever (anything greater than 103.5F) or below normal temperature then he needs to see her veterinarian as soon as possible as this suggests more serious disease that can't be stabilized at home.Either way I would suggest seeing his veterinarian as soon as possible and submitting a fresh stool sample to his veterinarian to check for gastrointestinal parasites.Please reply back to this post with any further questions.
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 6 months ago.
Hello, I wanted to make sure that you didn't have any further questions for me, and I'd like to know how things turned out for your pup. If you found my response helpful please don't forget to rate it so I may receive credit for it, thank you, ***** *****