Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.

My dog is vomiting bile and having diarrhea that has alot of

Customer Question

my dog is vomiting bile and having diarrhea that has alot of mucus and a little bit of blood in it
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did your dog eat anything unusual?
Customer: Shes acting scared as well. She ate a half loaf of banana nut bread about 24 hours ago
JA: What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Peach, she's a year old.
JA: Anything else I can tell the Veterinarian before I connect you two?
Customer: Shes a dachshund beagle pekingese mix, probably weighs about 5lbs. This has been going on for about an hour.
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
she is shaking when she breathes and doesnt want to walk around
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 6 months ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am not set up to make a live call. But, I am happy to answer your question on this thread. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice. 1- How long has it been since the last time she vomited? 2- I will assume these symptoms started after eating the banana nut bread, correct? 3- Is she lethargic?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
She vomited 10 minutes ago, after I pushed on her stomach to see if I felt any obstructions.
No, they just started about 45 minutes ago. She ate the banana nut bread about a day ago. I've been at work but it doesn't look like she's gotten into anything else.
Yes, she is.
Please give me a few minutes to type your answer. Thank you.
Friend, when we see diarrhea with blood and mucus it is a sign of inflammation in the colon. The vomiting is a consequence of the inflammation. This can be caused by many different medical conditions. It will be difficult for me to determine the exact underlying cause without a hands on examination and some testing. But, common causes are: Dietary indiscretion, pancreatitis, ingestion of a foreign body, infections, etc. to name a few causes. I am concern if she is very lethargic about a foreign body or pancreatitis for this reason I would recommend you have her checked tonight by ER veterinarian. If you do not have access to ER vet this is what you can do until she is seen by family vet: 1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or imodium. Start her on Pepcid AC (famotidine) 10mg 1/8th of a tablet every 12 hours for the next 2-3 days. You can buy Pepcid AC over the counter in any pharmacy.2- No food or water for 8-12 hours. Need to give her gastrointestinal tract time to rest. 3- After 8-12 hours offer a small amount of water. Wait half hour, if no vomiting, offer small amount of rice (50%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (50%) 4-6 times a day. Keep her on this diet for several days then wean her into her regular diet. 4- Follow up with your family veterinarian for a hands on examination.Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!Dr. Peter