petdrz, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience caring for dogs and cats

My little dog is itching all the time. His skin is red and

Customer Question

My little dog is itching all the time. His skin is red and he has some hair loss on the inner side of his left thigh. My vet suggested Apoquel tablets. I wanted a second opinion to help me decide what is best for my dog. And to see if there is a less expensive alternative to this medication. Teddy his had yeast infections in the past.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  petdrz replied 6 months ago.
Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you and Teddy today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 25 years experience and would be happy work with you but need a bit more information in order to better assist you if you don't mind. Has Teddy been tested recently for a bacterial or yeast infection?Does he itch his ears as well? Does he itch year round or is it seasonal? Thanks and I will respond further after you reply. There may be a slight delay while I formulate and type a thorough response or I may be offline, but if so, I will respond as soon as I am able.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Yes to the yeast infection, yes to itching ears and yes to seasonal. He seems to get the yeast infection in the spring and fall.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
He didn't get it this time. He instead started to scratch and lick all the time since the weather turned warmer.
Expert:  petdrz replied 6 months ago.
I am sorry for the delay. I had to log off before you replied. Apoquel is very effective at controlling the itch due to allergies with seasonal triggers in many dogs. It provides the same anti-itch effect as a steroid, but without the negative side effects of steroids. It will not be effective however at controlling the itch if there are any underlying conditions occurring at the same time such as bacterial or yeast infections. It will also be less effective if there is an ear infection. If at any time those are present, they need to be treated as a separate problem in order for the Apoquel to do it's part at controlling the itch due to the allergy alone. I have seen Apoquel help many dogs with seasonal allergy itch that were not getting any relief previously without steroids. As of yet, there are no other drugs of this nature that may be a less expensive alternative. I hope this is helpful. Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please reply so I can clarify for you. My posted replies are for general education only and not meant as a diagnosis. Only after a thorough veterinary examination can a diagnosis for your pet be made and specific treatments be advised or medications be prescribed.Dr Z
Expert:  petdrz replied 6 months ago.
Hi Rita,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Teddy. How is everything going?

Dr Z