Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM from Iowa State University in 1994; actively engaged in private regular and emergency practice since that time.
36050890

I had her at the vet and they gave her fluids.

Customer Question

I had her at the vet for vomitting and they gave her fluids. And medicine to help with the Nausea. She is still vomitting but less than yesterday. The right side of her belly seems hard today. She is lathargic and won't eat or drink. I'm going back to the vet in a few hours
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?
Customer: Monday she may have eaten small parts of cooked onion. Other than that nothing that I know of
JA: What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: 10 months she is called Wimbly. Frenchie
JA: Anything else I can tell the Veterinarian before I connect you two?
Customer: Not that I know of
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 8 months ago.
Hello,I'm Dr. Jo and I'm a licensed veterinarian with more than twenty years of experience. I'm here to help with your question about Wimbly's vomiting.I'm so sorry you're having this problem, but glad you're looking for the information you need. You may join the conversation at any time by typing in what you want to say then clicking REPLY or SEND. Then we can chat back and forth until you're satisfied with the information I've provided. I'll do my best to earn your good rating, because that's the only way I receive any compensation for helping you.In order to help me help you better, I'll need a little more information. To start with, please tell me the following:Was it yesterday that she went to vet and received fluids and an anti-nausea injection?How long until your appointment today?I'll look forward to your reply and will respond as quickly as possible.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I'm here. What other info do you need?
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 8 months ago.
Can you see my questions above?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
It was yesterday. And today I'll see the vet in two hours
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 8 months ago.
Thanks. That helps me form my response to you. Typing more below. One moment.
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 8 months ago.
I want to start by saying I'm really glad it's only a couple of hours until you see the vet. The biggest thing to be suspicious of with a young dog like Wimbly who's still vomiting after 24 hours, even with an anti-nausea medication on board is the risk of a foreign body obstruction.(typing more)
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 8 months ago.
While I cannot make a diagnosis online, everything you've described about Wimbly's age, symptoms, and history is a red flag for a GI foreign body. That's by far the most common thing to cause these symptoms in her type of dog, and it's a surgical emergency, so it's important to take quick action.
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 8 months ago.
Left untreated, GI foreign body obstructions are fatal. The sooner the dog is diagnosed and gets to surgery, the less likely he or she is to experience serious post-op complications (which can also be fatal). It's also important to acknowledge that the way Wimbly's case has been handled so far is very typical. Because vomiting in young dogs is really common for other, non-surgical reasons, they are usually entitled to a 24-hour fast with fluids and an anti-nausea injection before getting more aggressive about looking for a foreign body. If they're still vomiting after that, however, it's time to take prompt action. Does this help to answer your questions at this time?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Yes thank you
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 8 months ago.
Good, I'm glad I could help. I know what it's like to be in a worrisome situation like this. I'm glad you know what to be prepared for.Please remember I am here for you and am happy to discuss your question until you are satisfied with the answer I've provided. You may return to this page at any time to review this information and/or post more. You may do so even after you've rated my response. I'll be notified of your response via email and will do my best to help you.If you are satisfied with the information I've provided, please take a moment to rate my response. I've done my best to provide you with the most accurate, thorough and up-to-date information that is available, and your positive feedback is important to me. Without it, I receive no compensation for helping you.If you are not satisfied, please let me know how else I may be of assistance.Thank you for using our website.