Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

I have a Shit-zu poodle mix he is 11 years old. Has lost most

Customer Question

I have a Shit-zu poodle mix he is 11 years old. Has lost most of hair not bald loss but broken off almost shaved looking, has lost a lot of weight very quick he is very skinny drinks a lot of water. His urine is clear like water. In the last few days his vision and his hearing are gone. He eats great, Has a soft feeling tumor on his groin area and he is fixed.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 8 months ago.
His polydipsia (increased thirst) and polyuria (increased volume of urine - often very dilute as you've reported) are the most worrisome symptoms and are danger signs for quite a few disorders. These include both hepatic and renal insufficiencies, urinary tract infection involving the kidneys; diabetes mellitus, Cushing's disease, and hyperthyroidism (those three will also cause increased hunger (polyphagia), hypercalcemia (increased serum calcium level), electrolyte (sodium, potassium, chloride) imbalances, and the rarer Addison's disease, diabetes insipidus, and brain tumor involving the hypothalamus. His vet will want to perform a thorough physical exam including diagnostics in the form of blood and urine tests in order to clarify what those symptoms are signifying. Loss of his senses suggests that either the primary problem is in his brain or his brain is being intoxicated by a problem elsewhere in his body such as a poorly functioning liver (hepatoencephalopathy) or kidneys (renal encephalopathy). Time is of the essence, Joanne. You're described a life-threatening disorder. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Thank you so much. These things you listed is their medicine or treatments. Do you think it could be cancer?
You're quite welcome. Yes, cancer should always be on my differential diagnosis list at his age. Yes, we have quite an array of drugs and therapies for these dogs but the first order of business is clarifying what's going on. I suspect that you'll find this out within just 24 hours of his being examined and tested. I would be pleased to review any test results you could upload to our conversation.