Jess K
Jess K, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Licensed Veterinarian

He has bumps all over his back with black scabs that will come

Customer Question

He has bumps all over his back with black scabs that will come off if you rub them while giving him a back
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Timmy and he is 3
JA: How old is Timmy?
Customer: He is 3
JA: Anything else I can tell the Veterinarian before I connect you two?
Customer: I don't think so
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Jess K replied 6 months ago.
Hello, this is Dr. Jess. I am sorry to hear about Timmy. It sounds like he likely has a secondary bacterial infection of the skin (that is usually the case when we see bumps with crusts as you are describing). Often this can be secondary to allergies, but does require treatment with an antibiotic to get rid of the bacterial infection. The best thing to do is to make an appointment with your vet to check the skin, and get a prescription for an antibiotic to treat the infection. They can also see if they think a steroid is needed (if severe itching or inflammation is present, sometimes it is), or an antihistamine may suffice to help with the possible allergies.