How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Gary Your Own Question
Dr. Gary
Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Category: Dog Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 19331
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675
Type Your Dog Veterinary Question Here...
Dr. Gary is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My dog is pregnant- in her final days. Over the past

Customer Question

Hello. My dog is pregnant- in her final days. Over the past week she seems to be losing circulation in her front legs after lying down. She appears to have begun her labor earlier this evening but now is just lying in her box. Drinling normally and i can feel the puppies moving around. But everytime we touch her front legs she is in extreme diress and will not bet up herself. There are no vets open anywhere nearby and im not sure it would be a good idea to move her. What can we do?i
Submitted: 8 months ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 8 months ago.
Hello. Thanks for the question. I'm sorry it wasn't addressed sooner. I don't think I would move her too much right now. It sounds like she is hyper-aesthetic where she is reacting unfavorably to anything right now. I think she is probably just stressed and hyper-responsive vs having an actual issue with her legs. Dogs can get like this around the time of whelping. I would try to leave her alone as much as possible. Let nature take over at this point. I would make sure she has access to food and water. Check on her once every 30-60 minutes. If she starts contracting and it's been 1-2 hours with no puppies, then I would get worried about a breached puppy and get her to a vet. I don't think you're at that point without any contractions. It sounds like she's still in the early stage of labor which can last anywhere from a couple hours to a couple days in some dogs. I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Hi Gary thank you for your response. Are contractions the only sign i should watch for to determine that she has moved into the next stage of labor? Also are you saying that i will see some or none of the same symptoms in her next stage? I just want to be sure that letting her be is the right thing to do at this stage and that i dont miss something vital. Without hearing back last night my fiance and i fashioned a sling to support her front end behind her front legs to try to get her moving around a little. She did stand on all fours twice, but had no endurance for it and was exhausted afterwords. She would not, however, put any weight on her front feet shile we were taking steps. Her hind end was shaky with VERY tight muscles and ligaments so we didnt go far. About 10 ft and then back again. Once due to coordination mishaps her hind end moved faster and she made no effort to stop from faceplanting. We have let her rest since then (4hrs ago) but she has not been crying or moaning since a little after i contacted you last night. Her temperature is still 100.4- which rings true if she hasnt reached the contraction stage yet. I just want to be sure that there is nothing i should watch for or a timeline i should keep in mind to make sure things havent taken a turn for the worst. Her vet does not open until 10:30 today.
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 8 months ago.
You're welcome. The first stages of labor- panting, restlessness, temperature drop, discomfort, nesting- these are all stage 1. Stage 2 starts with contractions. That is when the cervix softens and they're ready to whelp. Once that starts, a lot of the stage 1 signs will subside. She is definitely much more uncomfortable and weak than I would expect. The one worry I would have is where her glucose and calcium levels are. If they are low, then that could explain the signs we're seeing. With that in mind, if you want to error on the side of caution I would get her in and run some bloodwork. If nothing else, they could put her on some IV fluids and pain meds while going through the rest of her whelping. If she's too weak, a c-section may be the best option. Just some other options. You could wait another couple hours for your vet to open for this exam and bloodwork.
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 8 months ago.
Hi Marcie,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Kyra. How is everything going?

Dr. Gary