Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)

My dog suddenly stop moving and he is panting very badly

Customer Question

Hi my dog suddenly stop moving and he is panting very badly
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with your dog?
Customer: He won't move and he is panting he can't go up the steps...he is usually energetic very slothful no
JA: Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help your dog. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Boaz
JA: How old is Boaz?
Customer: He is 56 years
JA: Anything else I can tell the Veterinarian before I connect you two?
Customer: He is in very bad physical condition he has not been washed my mom feeds him an
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Customer: He is breathing hard
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
He came up the steps but he is breathing hard
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 6 months ago.
Hello. Given the signs, this is most likely IVDD (intervertebral disc disease). This is where a disc ruptures or herniates in the back pressing on the spinal cord which causes weakness and nerve roots which causes pain. Signs can be as mild as reluctance to walk/ climb stairs to as severe as full paralysis. Metabolic disease or a fever would be my next main differentials given the signs. Diagnosis is made on neuro exam and then can be confirmed with advanced imaging like MRI, CT or myelogram.Treatment is based on the stage of the disease:> Mild weakness/ pain can be treated with strict exercise restriction and anti-inflammatory meds (Rimadyl, Deramaxx) + other pain meds (Gabapentin, Tramadol). Crate confinement for the majority of the day with only short leash walks outside is key, and I like to do this for 1-3 weeks.> Severe neurologic deficits and paralysis require back decompressive surgery to correct. It sounds like your dog will do fine with the more conservative management. I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Ok thank you this sounds correct. When my mom rubbed him she said feel his bone. She said it felt weird. Thank You
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 6 months ago.
Usually pressing down on the spine will elicit a pain response. Typically this is in the area at the back of the rib cage. I think some pain meds and rest will do him some good.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Ok thank you!
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 6 months ago.
You're welcome.